back to PACE home
PACE program on October 27, 2019
Led by David Johnson
- As we age, there are some decisions which will have
to be made that are very difficult, like this.
- Most people make these decisions "on the fly" and
decide only once.
- The consequences are better if we take time to think and discuss.
All responses are valid:
- "Hadn't thought about it"
- Head in sand - "Don't want to think about it"
- Responses are likely very emotional:
- expect raw feelings
- acknowledge and validate those feelings
- may dredge up old issues
- Not final conversation, but a start of many.
- Our thinking and actions will likely change
over time, and they SHOULD.
- Asking questions is more important than
finding solutions. Don't try for resolution.
- This program in itself will likely cause problems
and be controversial. Be aware of this and do
some "cleanup" and "restoration" at home.
- We, being unrelated, aren't as biased.
- Family are likely to become very emotional.
- If we lead appropriately, we can help calm the waters.
- We are peers facing the same issues.
- We can get feedback here that we might not get alone or at home.
- Had they lived that long, Jesus would have had
challenging discussions about aging with the
- The Bible does not directly address aging
decisions. Biblical characters just age.
- This is a neutral time and place, conducive
to discussion and planning, unlike what we will
face when bad things force immediate decisions.
- Another venue you might consider are your dinner groups.
That is another place to discuss these critical topics.
- Aging now is like:
- ethnicity in 70's (hyphenated Americans)
- women since 1800's
- Seniors are a HUGE voting block! There is
strength in numbers.
Scenarios followed by discussions
When to limit or eliminate:
- access to knives
- internet access
- computer access
- credit card use
- target practice (arrows, guns...)
When to draft or implement:
- Power of Attorney (POA)
- Advanced Health Care Directives (AHCD)
- Do Not Resuscitate (DNR)
- living will
- choosing health care surrogate(s)
back to PACE home